Bricks and Mortar
Lake Leather’s history is firmly rooted in our bricks-and-mortar shops. Started some 40 years ago in the small NSW south-coast town of Cobargo, Lake Leather has always had a good local following in our surrounding areas. We have recently lost some of our heritage and our story: we are very saddened that the original building where Lake Leather was established was lost to the horrifying bushfires in NSW on New Year’s Eve, 2020. As Cobargo went up in flames, so too did the original Lake Leather building. Still trading as South Coast Leather, this leather-goods business was a much-loved part of its hometown. We are very saddened to have lost the tangible heritage of our business’s roots, and of course feel for all those afflicted by the terrible bushfires of the 19/20 summer season. Now situated in Tasmania, where the business has been growing for the past nearly 20 years, we have become very much at home in our new state. With the continued growth and evolution of the business Lake Leather - with our two shops and now online for the first time - it has become something of a Tasmanian institution, with our Evandale shop making all number of items, such as genuine leather handbags.
Lake Leather has grown very organically over the years, and our roots are firmly planted in our traditional bricks and mortar shops. We currently have two, one situated in the beautiful heritage town of Evandale, just 5 minutes from Launceston airport, and the second in the favourite coffee and toilet-break stop on the Midland Highway at Campbell Town. The building in Evandale dates back to 1840 and was originally built as the butcher’s shop. Now a beautiful rose garden leading into Morven Park, the space behind the building was the stockyard and slaughter yards for the butchers. The building may look like a quaint little cottage from the road but has been added to over the years to make it a large and comfortable family home, as well as housing the Lake Leather shop and our onsite workshop. In the loft space, the wooden shingles from the buildings original roof are still visible. We are very lucky to have such a beautiful position in one of the most darling heritage towns in Tasmania!
The Campbell Town shop building was built in 1898 by the National Bank of Australasia, now better known as the NAB. The rich alluvial plains between the Western Tiers to the west, and the Ben Lomond ranges to the east meant that the midland plains were a rich and abundant farming area. The thriving pastoral communities were honoured by their own rather magnificent bank building to service their needs at this time. The unexpected grandeur of this building, with its sandstone stairs and mighty archway is an indication of just how important the township of Campbell Town, and its surrounding areas, were at this time.Our two shops are something of a Tasmanian institution. The two are very different from each other and both worth a visit. This is a picture of the Evandale store on a beautiful summer afternoon. The previous page shows a selection of our wide range of genuine leather handbags, purses and backpacks, and handmade belts made in our on-site workshop. This is just a taster of some of the many iconic brands we keep in stock, such as Akubra hats and R. M. Williams boots. We look forward to seeing you in-store and online soon!